Main Article Content
This paper aims at investigating the effect of planar scaling on Microstrip patch antenna performance. To this end, nine antennas with different sizes are fabricated on the same FR4 substrate with thickness of 1mm with different scale factors. Results indicate some deviations between the obtained expected, simulated and measured resonant frequency which could be mainly due to the truncation error effect, and the SMA connector effect in the scaling process. All the influential factors are studied in detail through the paper. Detailed discussion on the scaling process and its effect on the antenna performance would be presented.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- J. C. Maxwell, A dynamical theory of the electromagnetic field, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond, vol. 155, p. 459-512, 1865.
- N. Hamdan, On the invariance of Maxwell's field equations under Lorentz transformations, Galilean Electrodynamics, vol. 17, p.115-117, 2006.
- E. F Knott, Radar cross section measurements, Springer Science and Business Media, Ch. 12, p. 483-510, ISNB: 978-1-4684-9904-9, 2012.
- G. Sinclair, Theory of models of electromagnetic systems, In Proceeding of the I.R.E, vol. 36, no. 11, p. 1364-1371, 1948.
- F. Comblet, Radar cross section measurements in an anechoic chamber: Description of an experimental system and post processing, IEEE Conference on Antenna Measurements & Applications, Antibes Juan-les-Pins (France), 2014.
- J. S. Byrnes, R. Blanchard and F. Capasso, Harvesting renewable energy from Earth's mid-infrared emissions, Proceeding of the national Academy of Sciences of United States of America (PNAS), vol. 111, no. 11, p. 3927–3932, 2014.
- P. H. Siegel, Terahertz technology, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 50, no. 3, 2002.
- T. S. Cory, Scale-Model Measurements on a Sloping wire Antenna, Research Memorandum 4, Stanford Research Institute, SHI Project 4240-5, Proposed for: United States Army Electronics Research and development Laboratory, Sponsored by: ARPA, June 1963.
- B. S. Mitchell, An introduction to materials engineering and science for chemical and materials engineers, 1st ed., New Jersey (USA), John Wiley and Sons, Ch. 6, p. 538-678, 2004.
- E. Fledell, B. Grossman, PCB manufacturing variation impact on high frequency measurement fixtures, 76th ARFTG Microwave Measurement Symposium, Clearwater Beach (USA), p. 1-6, 2010.
- L. A. Stefanski, Measurement error models, Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 95, no. 452, p. 1353-1358, 2000.
- A. Esmaeilkhah, Ch. Ghobadi, J, Nourinia, Upper limit of truncation errors of expressing the real numbers, modeling and the exact solution, 1st National Conference on Modeling Mathematics & Statistics in Applied Studies, Iran, vol. 1, p. 34-39, 2017.
- W. Wu, Y. Zhang and X. Li, Galilean transformation, Lorentz transformation, and a new transformation, International Conference on Transportation, Mechanical, and Electrical Engineering (TMEE), Changchun (China), 2011.
- P. B. Seigel, Maxwell's equations under Galilean transformations, 1st ed., San Diego, San Diego State University, 1977.
- Ch. S. Pyo, Lorentz transform and Maxwell Equation, 1st Conference on Physical Mathematics, KAIST University, South Korea, 2011.
- H. Poincare, La théorie de Lorentz et le principe de reaction, Archives nèerlandaises des Sciences exactes et naturelles, no. 2, vol. 5, p. 252-278, 1900.
- A. Einstein, On electrodynamics of moving bodies, Annalen der Physikm, no. 4, vol. 17, pp. 891–921, 1905.
- D. H. Schaubert, et al., Effect of microstrip antenna substrate thickness and permittivity, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 677-682, 1989.
- R. Q. Lee, et al., Experimental study of the cross polarization characteristics of rectangular patch antennas, Digest on Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, San Jose (USA), vol. 2, pp. 636-639, 1989.
- V. Timoshevski, Y. Ke, et al., The influence of surface roughness on electrical conductance of thin Cu films: An ab initio study, Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 103, no. 11, 2008.
- N. C. Currie, Radar reflectivity measurement: Techniques and applications, 1st ed., Artech House, Norwood (USA), p. 767, 1989.
- J. Cech, et al., Surface roughness reduction using spray-coated hydrogen silsesquioxane reflow, Applied Surface Science, vol. 280, pp. 424-430.
- J. Goergen, M. Hernandez, A definition of FR-4, IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee, IEEE P802.3ap Task Force, 16 Pages [Online]