Main Article Content
The advent of the Monte Carlo methods to the field of EM have seen floating random walk, fixed random walk and Exodus methods deployed to solve Poisson’s equation in rectangular coordinate and axisymmetric solution regions. However, when considering large EM domains, classical Monte Carlo methods could be time-consuming because they calculate potential one point at a time. Thus, Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) is generally preferred to other Monte Carlo methods when considering whole-field computation. In this paper, MCMC has been applied to solve Poisson’s equation in homogeneous and inhomogeneous axisymmetric regions. The MCMC results are compared with the analytical and finite difference solutions.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- A. Buonomo and C. Di Bello, "On Solving Poisson's Equation in Two-Dimensional Semiconductor Devices," Electronics Letters, February 1984, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 156-158.
- M. N. O. Sadiku et al., "A Further Introduction to Finite Element Analysis of Electromagnetic Problems," IEEE Transactions on Education, vol. 34, no. 4, November 1991, pp. 322-329.
- Chen CS, Muleshkov AS, Golberg MA, Mattheij RMM. "A mesh-free approach to solving the axisymmetric Poisson's equation," Numerical Methods Partial Differential Equation, 2005, vol. 21, 349-367.
- R. C. Garcia and M.N.O. Sadiku, "Neuro-Monte Carlo Solution of Electrostatic Problems," Journal of Franklin Institute, vol. 335B, no. 1, 1998, pp. 53-69.
- M. N. O. Sadiku, "Monte Carlo Methods in an Introductory Electromagnetic Course," IEEE Transactions on Education, vol. 33, no.1, February 1990, pp. 73-80.
- M. N. O. Sadiku, S. O. Ajose, and Zhibao Fu, "Applying the Exodus Method to Solve Poisson's Equation," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 42, no.4, April, 1994, pp. 661-666.
- M. N. O. Sadiku and R. C. Garcia, "Monte Carlo Floating Random Walk Solution of Poisson's Equation," Proceedings of Southeastcon, 1993.
- J. M. Delaurentis and L. A. Romero, "A Monte Carlo Method for Poisson's Equation," Journal of Computational Physics, 1990, vol. 90, pp. 123-140.
- M. N. O. Sadiku and D. T. Hunt, "Solution of Dirichlet Problems by the Exodus Method," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 40, 1, January 1992, pp. 89-95.
- R. C. Garcia and M. N. O. Sadiku, "Monte Carlo Fixed-Radius Floating Random Walk Solution for Potential Problems," Proceedings of the IEEE Southeastcon, 1996, pp. 88-91.
- M. N. O. Sadiku and K. Gu, "A New Monte Carlo Solution For Neumann Problems," Proc. IEEE Southeastcon, April, 1996, pp. 92-95.
- M. N. O. Sadiku, et al., "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Solution of Poisson's Equation," International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication, vol. 3, Issue 1, 2015, pp. 106-112.
- M. N. O. Sakidu, Computational Electromagnetics with MATLAB. Boca Raton, FI, Boca Raton, CRC Press, Fourth Edition, 2019.
- M. N. O. Sadiku, "Monte Carlo Solution of Axisymmetric Potential Problems," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 29, no. 6, 1993, pp. 1042 - 1046.
- V. F. Fusco and P. A. Linden, "A Markov Chain Approach for Static Field Analysis," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 1, 1988, pp. 216-220.
- A. E. Shadare, M. N. O. Sadiku and S. M. Musa, "Solution to Poisson's Equation in Rectangular Inhomogeneous Dielectric Media with the Markov Chain Monte Carlo," International Conference on Scientific Computing, 2017, pp. 10-15.
- K. Gu and M. N. O. Sadiku, "Absorbing Markov Chain Solution for Poisson's Equation," Proceedings of the IEEE Southeastcon, 2000, pp. 297-300.
- R. C. Garcia, M. N. O. Sadiku and K. Gu, "Applying Absorbing Markov Chains to Solve Poisson's Equation in Inhomogeneous Regions," Proceedings of the IEEE Southeastcon, 2001, pp. 166-168.
- A. E. Shadare, M. N. O. Sadiku and S. M. Musa, "Analysis of Microstrip Line using Markov Chain Monte Carlo," International Conference on Scientific Computing, 2015, pp. 135-139.
- M. N. O. Sadiku and R. C. Garcia, "Whole Field Computation Using Monte Carlo Method," International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, vol. 10, 1997, pp. 303-312.
- M. N. O. Sadiku, Monte Carlo Methods for Electromagnetics. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FI, 2009.
- K. Asano, "Electrostatic potential and field in a cylindrical tank containing charged liquid," Proc. Inst. Elec. Eng., vol. 124, no. 12, December 1977, pp.1277-1281.
- M. N. O. Sadiku. "Monte Carlo solution of axisymmetric potential problems," Proc. of IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 1990. pp. 1894-1900.