Main Article Content
This work presents a new breast tumor detection system based on an omnidirectional microstrip ultra wideband antenna. The localization coordinates of the tumor are studied in detail for better tumor detection. The coordinates of the corresponding maximum value of SAR are identified in order to accurately detect different locations of tumor inside the breast. The results show that relying on these coordinates; the tumor can be detected with high accuracy. The possibility of mutual interferences with other systems operating at the FCC frequency band is considered as a major issue in UWB systems. Therefore, rejected out-band interference signals is introduced by etching single and double U-shaped slots on the radiating element, then a first and second frequency band are successfully produced respectively. The proposed antenna is a compact antenna that can be used on microwave imaging detection. The antenna gain was larger than 2 dbi with an omnidirectional radiation pattern over the whole frequency-band. A relatively flat group delay of the antenna response is also achieved. Antenna prototype has been manufactured and measured, results prove the performance of the proposed antenna.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- S. Adnan, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, H. I. Hraga, I. T. E. Elfergani, J. M.Noras, and R. Halliwell "Microstrip Antenna for Microwave Imaging Application" Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Proceedings, Marrakesh, Morocco, 431-434, Mar. 2011.
- A. Santorelli, M.Popovi, "SAR Distribution in Microwave Breast Screening: Results with TWTLTLA Wideband Antenna", Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing IEEE, pp. 11-16, 2011.
- M. A. Shahira Banu, S.Vanaja, S. Poonguzhali, "UWB microwave detection of breast cancer using SAR" , International IEEE Conference on Energy Efficient Technologies for Sustainability (ICEETS) , Nagercoil, Inde, pp. 113 - 118, Apr. 2013.
- M. Lazebnik, D. Popovic, L. Mc Cartney et al., "A large-scale study of the ultra-wideband microwave dielectric properties of normal, benign and malignant breast tissues obtained from cancer surgeries", Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 52, no.20, pp. 60936115, 2007.
- Heena Choudhary, Romika Choudhary and Ashish Vats "Design and Analysis of Circular Patch Micro-Strip UWB Antenna for Breast cancer Detection" International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol.4, Issue12, December 2015.
- E. Fear and J. Sill, "Preliminary investigations of tissue sensing adaptive radar for breast tumor detection," in Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2003. Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Conference of the IEEE, vol. 4, 2003.
- J. Sill and E. Fear, "Tissue sensing adaptive radar for breast cancer detection experimental investigation of simple tumor models," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 3312-3319, 2005.
- E. Porter, E. Kirshin, A. Santorelli, M. Coates, and M. Popovic, "Time-domain multistatic radar system for microwave breast screening," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, IEEE, vol. 12, pp. 229-232, 2013.
- E. Porter, E. Kirshin, A. Santorelli, and M. Popovic, "A clinical prototype for microwave breast imaging using time-domain measurements," in Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2013 7th European Conference on, pp. 830-832, 2013.
- K. A. Alshamaileh, M. J. Almalkawi, and V. K. Devabhaktuni "Dual Band-Notched Microstrip-Fed Vivaldi Antenna Utilizing Compact EBG Structures" Hindawi Publishing Corporation, International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 439832, 7pages
- J. Xu,D.-Y. Shen, G.-T. Wang, X.-H. Zhang, X.-P. Zhang, and K. Wu "A Small UWB Antenna with Dual Band-Notched Characteristics" Hindawi Publishing Corporation, International Journal of Antennas and Propagation,Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 656858, 7 pages.
- Akkala Subbarao and S. Raghavan "A compact UWB slot antenna with signal rejection in 56 GHz band" MOTL Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Volume 54, Issue 5, pages 12921296, May 2012.
- A. Boutejdar, A. A. Ibrahim, and E. P. Burte "Novel Microstrip Antenna Aims at UWB Applications" Microwave and RF, 2015.
- A. Boutejdar, A.A. Ibrahim, E. P. Burte "A Compact Multiple Band-Notched Planer Antenna with Enhanced Bandwidth Using Parasitic Strip Lumped Capacitors and DGS Technique" , TELKOMNIKA Indonesian Journal of Electrical Engineering, vol. 13, no. 2, 2015.
- A. A. Ibrahim, M. A. Abdalla, A. Boutejdar "Resonator Switching Techniques for Notched UWB Antenna in Wireless Applications", IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, 2015.
- Yingsong Li, Wenxing Li, and Qiubo Ye "A CPW-Fed Circular Wide-Slot UWB Antenna with Wide Tunable and Flexible Reconfigurable Dual Notch Bands" The Scientific World Journal, Volume 2013 (2013), ArticleID 402914, 10 pages.
- Rezaul Azim, Mohammad Tariqul Islam, Norbahiah Misran, Baharudin Yatim, and Haslina Arshad "Design and Realization of a Planar Ultrawideband Antenna with Notch Band at 3.5GHz" The Scientific World Journal Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 563830, 7 pages.
- S.S. Chaudhary, R.K. Mishra, A. Swarup, and J.M. Thomas, "Dielectric properties of normal and malignant human breast tissues at radiowave and microwave frequencies" , Indian J. Biochem. Biophys. , vol. 21, pp.76-79, 1984.
- W.T. Joines, Y.Z. Dhenxing, and R.L. Jirtle. "The measured electrical properties of normal and malignant human tissues from 50 to 900 MHz", Med.Phys., vol. 21, pp. 547-550, 1994.
- International Commission on Non-Ionizing Protection (ICNIRP) 1998 Guidelines for limited exposure to time varying electric, magnetic and electromagnetic fields (up to 300 GHz) , Health Physics, vol. 74, no. 4,pp. 494-522, Apr 1998.