Main Article Content
In this paper, we report the design of a new compact single layer modified S-shaped tag antenna for UHF-RFID applications. To achieve a compact size of 51×34 mm2 for this tag antenna, the technique of using S shaped strip is applied, and by further adding a pair of equilateral triangular stubs into this structure, good impedance matching can be obtained at 915 MHz, which is the center frequency of the North-American UHF-RFID band (902 to 928 MHz). Besides exhibiting acceptable 5m read range in free space at 915 MHz, the proposed design shows a read range of about 4.5 when mounted on a metallic object (200 ×30 cm2) separated by spacer foam of thickness 1 cm. Furthermore, the proposed design shows a reasonable read ranges when it is mounted on different dielectrics with low permittivity. The proposed design has a simple configuration, low cost, acceptable read range, and can work on various background materials.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- K. Finkenzeller, RFID Handbook: 'Radio-Frequency Identification Fundamentals and Applications', 2nd ed. New York, NY, USA: Wiley, 2004.
- L. Jeremy,'The history of RFID' IEEE Potentials, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 8–11, Oct.–Nov. 2005.
- S.-H. Jeong and H.-W. Son,'UHF RFID tag antenna for embedded use in a concrete floor' IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett. vol. 10, 2011 pp. 1158–1161.
- P. V. Nikitin, K. V. S. Rao, S. F. Lam, V. Pillai, R. Martinez, and H. Heinrich,'Power reflection coefficient analysis for complex impedances in RFID tag design' IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 2721–2725, Sep. 2005.
- N.C. Karmakar, Handbook of smart antennas for RFID systems. John Wiley & Sons. Hoboken, New Jersey, 2010.
- L. Ukkonen, Ang Yu, L. Sydanheimo, Fan Yang, M. Kivikoski and A. Elsherbeni, 'Analysis of bow tie array RFID tag antenna for paper reel identification systems,' 2007 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society 65 International Symposium, Honolulu, HI, 2007, pp. 2745-2748.
- C. Cho, I. Park, and H. Choo, 'Design of a circularly polarized tag antenna for increased reading range', IEEE Trans Antennas Propag 57 (2009), 3418–3422.
- T. Deleruyelle, P. Pannier, M. Egels and E. Bergeret, "An RFID Tag Antenna Tolerant to Mounting on Materials," in IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 14-19, Aug. 2010.
- H.D. Chen, S.H. Kuo, C.Y.D. Sim, and C.H. Tsai, ''Coupling-feed circularly polarized RFID tag antenna mountable on metallic surface'', IEEE Trans Antennas Propag 60 (2012), 2166–2174.
- R. Quiroz, T. Alves, B. Poussot and J. M. Laheurte, "Combined RFID tag antenna for recipients containing liquids," in Electronics Letters, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 240- 242, Feb. 14, 2013.
- R. Gonçalves, R. Magueta, P. Pinho and N. B. Carvalho, "RFID passive tag antenna for cork bottle stopper," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), Memphis, TN, 2014, pp. 1518-1519,2014.
- M. M. Tentzeris et al., "Inkjet-printed RFID-enabled sensors on paper for IoT and "Smart Skin" applications," ICECom 2013, Dubrovnik, 2013, pp. 1-4.
- M. Daiki, H. Chaabane, E. Perret, S. Tedjni, T. Aguili, "RFID Chip Impedance Measurement for UHF Tag Design, " Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS'11), Mar 2011, pp.679, 2011.
- http://www.murata.com/~/media/webrenewal/support/li brary/catalog/products/k70e.ashx
- D. B. Miron, Small Antenna Design, Burlington, MA, USA: Newnes, 2006.
- F. E. Terman, Radio Engineer's Handbook. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1945.
- X. Qing, C. K. Goh and Z. N. Chen, "Impedance Characterization of RFID Tag Antennas and Application in Tag Co Design," in IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1268-1274, May 2009.
- C. Cho, H. Choo and I. Park, "Broadband RFID tag antenna with quasi-isotropic radiation pattern," in Electronics Letters, vol. 41, no. 20, pp. 1091-1092, 29 Sept. 2005.
- R. Colella, L. Catarinucci, P. Coppola, and L. Tarricone ''Measurement Platform for Electromagnetic Characterization and Performance Evaluation of UHF RFID Tags'',IEEE Trans Antennas Propag 65 (2016), 905-914.
- ThingMagic M6e Hardware Guide, [online] Available: http://www.thingmagic.com, Sep. 2017.