Main Article Content
In this paper, we present novel mechanisms for tuning and controlling the response of novel plasmonic filter using metal-insulator-metal (MIM) configuration. These mechanisms allow for full control on the transmission response from these waveguide based structures. This control can be done electrically or mechanically. The applications and advantages of these novel schemes are discussed in details. Wideband tuning range has been obtained using these schemes.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- B. Lau, M. A. Swillam, and A. S. Helmy, "Hybrid orthogonal junctions: wideband plasmonic slot - silicon wire couplers," Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 26, pp. 27048-27059, Dec.
- Charles Lin, Herman M. K. Wong, Benedict Lau, Mohamed A. Swillam, and Amr S. Helmy, "Efficient broadband energy transfer via momentum matching at hybrid junctions of guided-waves" Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 123115 (2012).
- M. A. Swillam, and A. S. Helmy, "Feedback effect in plasmonic slot waveguides examined usnng closed form," Photonics Technology lett., vol.19,no. 24, pp 497-499, March 2012.
- C. Lin, M. A. Swillam, and A. S. Helmy, "Analytical model for metal–insulator–metal mesh waveguide architectures," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, vol. 29, no. 11, 3157-3169 (2012).
- Jingjing Sun and Huikai Xie, "MEMS-Based Endoscopic Optical Coherence Tomography," International Journal of Optics, vol. 2011, Article ID 825629, 12 pages, 2011.
- Pinheiro, C.; Rocha, J. G.; Goncalves, L.M.; Lanceros-Mendez, S.; Minas, G., "A Tunable Fabry-Perot Optical Filter for Application in Biochemical Analysis of Human's Fluids," Industrial Electronics, IEEE International Symposium on, vol.4, no., pp.2778,2783, July 2006.
- Hailiang Zhang, Yan Betremieux, John Noto, Robert Kerr, "Novel tunable liquid crystal Fabry-Perot filters for Fiber-Optical system," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 4583,p. 64-72, Metro and Access Networks, 2001.
- Tran, A.T.T.D.; Lo, Y.H.; Zhu, Z.H., "Surface-micromachined Fabry-Perot tunable filter for wavelength-division multiplexing systems," Lasers and Electro-Optics, vol., no., pp.346,June 1996.
- Papadimitriou, Georgios I.; Papazoglou, C.; Pomportsis, Andreas S., "Optical switching: switch fabrics, techniques, and architectures," Lightwave Technology, vol.21, no.2, pp.384,405, Feb. 2003.
- Qianfan Xu, Bradley Schmidt, Sameer Pradhan & Michal Lipson, "Micrometre-scale silicon electro-optic modulator," Nature 435, 325-327 (2005).
- Zhao, Qibin; Haines, Andrew; Snoswell, David; Keplinger, Christoph; Kaltseis, Rainer; Bauer, Siegfried; Graz, I.; Denk, Richard; Spahn, Peter; Hellmann, Goetz; Baumberg, Jeremy J., "Electric-field-tuned color in photonic crystal elastomers," Applied Physics Letters, vol.100, no.10, pp.101902,101902-4, Mar 2012
- Krasavin, A.V.; Zayats, A.V., "Electro-optic switching element for dielectric-loaded surface plasmon polariton waveguides," Applied Physics Letters, vol.97, no.4, pp.041107,041107-3, Jul 2010
- Cetin, A.E.; Yanik, Ahmet A.; Mertiri, Alket; Erramilli, Shyamsunder; Mustecaplıoglu, Ozgur E.; Altug, Hatice, "Field-effect active plasmonics for ultracompact electro-optic switching," Applied Physics Letters, vol.101, no.12, pp.121113,121113-4, Sep 2012
- S. Randhawa, S. Lachèze, J. Renger, A. Bouhelier, R. E. de Lamaestre, A. Dereux, and R. Quidant, "Performance of electro-optical plasmonic ring resonators at telecom wavelengths," Opt. Express20(3), 2354–2362 (2012).
- Yue Bing Zheng; Ying-Wei Yang; Jensen, L.; Lei Fang; Juluri, B.K.; Flood, A.H.; Weiss, P.S.; Stoddart, J.F.; Huang, Po-Hsun, "A plasmonic switch based on molecular machine-Au nanodisk complexes," Lasers and Electro-Optics, 2009 and 2009 Conference on Quantum electronics and Laser Science Conference. CLEO/QELS 2009. Conference on, vol., no., pp.1,2, 2-4 June 2009
- S. Papaioannou, D. Kalavrouziotis, K. Vyrsokinos, J.-C. Weeber, K. Hassan, L. Markey, A. Dereux, A. Kumar, S. I. Bozhevolnyi, M. Baus, T. Tekin, D. Apostolopoulos, H. Avramopoulos, and N. Pleros, "Active plasmonics in WDM traffic switching applications," Sci Rep2, 652 (2012).
- Ozaki, J.; Murata, H.; Takahara, J.; Okamura, Y., "New electro-optic switch using symmetric five-layer plasmonic waveguide with light-coupling slot-antennas," Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO), 2012 Conference on, vol., no., pp.1,2, 6-11 May 2012
- Tao, Jin; Wang, Qi Jie; Hu, Bin; He, Xiao Yong; Zhang, Ying, "Tunable subwavelength terahertz plasmonic stub waveguide filters," Nanoelectronics Conference (INEC), 2013 IEEE 5th International, vol., no., pp.455,458, 2-4 Jan. 2013
- D.C. Zografopoulos, R. Beccherelli, A.C. Tasolamprou, E.E. Kriezis, "Liquid–crystal tunable waveguides for integrated plasmonic components," Photonics and Nanostructures - Fundamentals and Applications, Volume 11, Issue 1, February 2013
- Lu, H., Liu, X., Mao, D., Wang, L. & Gong, Y. "Tunable band-pass plasmonic waveguide filters with nanodisk resonators". Optics Express 18, 17922-17927 (2010).
- J. Tao, X. G. Huang, X. Lin, Q. Zhang, and X. Jin, "A narrow-band subwavelength plasmonic waveguide filter with asymmetrical multiple-teeth-shaped structure," Opt. Express 17(16), 13989–13994 (2009).