Main Article Content
This paper presents the design, fabrication and measurement of dual polarized microstrip patch antennas for ultra wideband (UWB) applications with notch at 5-6 GHz band. The proposed antenna rejects the wireless local area network (WLAN) signals and work properly in the entire remaining ultra-wideband. Two antennas are designed for two different frequency bands of ultra wideband and both antennas together produce the entire ultra wideband with notch at 5-6 GHz band. The antennas are fed by a 50 coaxial probe and the entire design is optimized using CST Microwave Studio. The bandwidth of 3.1-5 GHz is achieved by the optimized design of Antenna-1 and the bandwidth of 6 -10.6 GHz is achieved by the optimized design of Antenna-2. The bandwidth of the optimized combined antenna is 3.1-10.6 GHz with elimination of the 5-6 GHz band. Both antennas are simulated, developed and measured. The simulated and measured results are presented. The two designed dual polarized antennas i.e. Antenna-1 and Antenna-2 can be used for 3.1-5 GHz band and 6-10.6 GHz band dual polarized applications, respectively, and the combined antenna structure can be used for UWB dual polarized applications with elimination of 5-6 GHz band signals.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- R. A. Scholtz et al., UWB radio deployment challenges, Proc. of IEEE Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Conference (IEEE PIMRC) 1: 620–625, 2000.
- K. Siwiak and D. McKeown, Ultra-wideband radio technology, John Wieley and Sons, 2004.
- C. B. Kim, J. S. Lim, J. S. Jang, Y. H. Jung, H. S. Lee, M. S. Lee,Wideband notched compact UWB antenna, Int. J. of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics 28: 101–110, 2008.
- Z.N. Chen, X.H. Wu, H.F. Li, M.Y. Chia, Considerations for source pulses and antennas in UWB radio systems, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 52: 1739–1748, 2004.
- P. Withington, Ultra-wideband RF-A Tutorial, Presentation to the IEEE 802 Plenary Meeting in Albuquerque, Document IEEE 802.15-00/083r0, 2000.
- R. Garg, P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip antenna design handbook, Artrech House Publishers, Boston, 2001.
- C. A. Balanis, Antenna theory: analysis and design, Wiley, 2005.
- F. Zhu, S.-C. S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, T. W. C. Brown, J. Li, and J.-D. Xu, Low-profile directional ultra-wideband antenna for see-through-wall imaging applications, Progress
- K.Y. Yazandost, Ultra wideband antenna, IEEE Communication Magazine 42: 529–532, 2004.
- R.V.S.R. Krishna, R. Kumar, A circularly polarised planar slot antenna forUWBapplications, Int. Journal of Electronics Letters 1: 233–241, 2013.
- S. Angelopoulos, A. Z. Anastopoulos, D. I. Kaklamani, A. A. Alexandridis, F. Lazarakis, and K. Dangakis, Circular and elliptical CPW-fed slot and microstrip-fed antennas for ultra wideband applications, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters 5: 294–297, 2006.
- P. Kumar, and J. L. Masa-Campos, Dual polarized microstrip patch antennas for ultra-wideband applications, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters 56: 2174–2179, 2014.
- A. Elboushi, O. M. Ahmed, and A. R. Sebak, Study of elliptical slot UWB antennas with A 5.0-6.0 GHz band-notch capability, Progress In Electromagnetics Research C 16: 207–222, 2010.
- C.-M. Li and L.-H. Ye, Improved dual band-notched UWB slot antenna with controllable notched bandwidths, Progress In Electromagnetics Research 115: 477–493, 2011.
- R. Azim, M. T. Islam, J. S. Mandeep, and A. T. Mobashsher, A planar circular ring ultra-wideband antenna with dual band-notched characteristics, Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications 26: 14–15, 2012.
- J. L. Masa-Campos and F. Gonzalez-Fernandez, Dual linear/circular polarized plannar antenna with low profile double-layer polarizer of 45o tilted metallic strips for WiMAX applications, Progress In Electromagnetics Research 98: 221–231, 2009.
- Q. Liu, J. Shen, J. Yin, H. Liu, and Y. Liu, Compact 0.92/2.45-GHz dual-band directional circularly polarized microstrip antenna for handheld RFID reader applications, IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation 63(9): 3849–3856, 2015.
- S. H. Zainud-Deen, S. A. Elhamied and A. Malhat, Integrated millimeter-wave antennas for on-chip communication, Advanced Electromagnetics 5(1): 22–29, 2016.
- S. Chakrabarti, Composite feed dual circularly polarized microstrip antenna with improved characterstics, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters 58(2): 283–289, 2016.
- L. S. Pereira and M. V. T. Heckler, Dual-band dualpolarized microstrip antenna for Rx/Tx terminals for high altitude platforms, 2015 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP) : 1–5, 2015.