Main Article Content
We demonstrate modeling of the field-kinetic and material response subsystem for various media and extend the models to dispersive negative index metamaterials. It is shown that neither the Minkowski or Abraham models are universally correct, as demonstrated to describe metamaterials under both the field-kinetic and wave SEM models for various applications such as negative refraction, perfect lensing, and invisibility cloaking.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- B. A. Kemp, "Resolution of the Abraham-Minkowski debate: Implications for the electromagnetic wave theory of light in matter," J. Appl. Phys., vol. 109, p. 111101, 2011.
- S. M. Barnett, "Resolution of the Abraham-Minkowski dilemma," Phys. Rev. Lett., vol. 104, p. 070401, 2010.
- B. A. Kemp, "Macroscopic theory of optical momentum,"Prog. Optics, vol. 60, p. 437, 2015.
- C. J. Sheppard and B. A. Kemp, "Kinetic-energy-momentum tensor in electrodynamics," Phys. Rev. A, vol. 93, p. 013855, 2016.
- C. J. Sheppard and B. A. Kemp, "Relativistic analysis of field-kinetic and canonical electromagnetic systems,"Phys. Rev. A, vol. 93, p. 053832, 2016.
- B. A. Kemp, J. A. Kong, and T. M. Grzegorczyk, "Reversal of wave momentum in isotropic left-handed media," Phys. Rev. A, vol. 75, p. 053810, 2007.
- T. M. Grzegorczyk and B. A. Kemp, "Transfer of optical momentum: reconciliations of the Abraham and Minkowski formulations," Proc. SPIE, vol. 7038, p.70381S, 2008.
- M. Mansuripur, "Radiation pressure and the linear momentum of the electromagnetic field," Opt. Express, vol. 12, p. 5375, 2004.
- B. A. Kemp, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Lorentz force on dielectric and magnetic particles," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., vol. 20, p. 827, 2006.
- B. A. Kemp and T. M. Grzegorczyk, "The observable pressure of light in dielectric fluids," Opt. Lett., vol. 36, no. 4, p. 493, 2011.
- C. J. Sheppard and B. A. Kemp, "Optical pressure deduced from energy relations within relativistic formulations of electrodynamics," Phys. Rev. A, vol. 89, no. 1, p. 013825, 2014.
- B. A. Kemp, "Subsystem approach to the electrodynamics in dielectric fluids," Proc. SPIE, vol. 8458, p.845803, 2012.
- B. A. Kemp, "Comment on "revisiting the Balazs thought experiment in the presence of loss: electromagnetic-pulse-induced displacement of a positive-index slab having arbitrary complex permittivity and permeability"," Appl. Phys. A, vol. 110, p.517, 2013.
- M. Mansuripur, A. R. Zakharian, and E. W. Wright, "Electromagnetic-force distribution inside matter," Phys. Rev. A, vol. 88, p. 023826, 2013.
- N. G. C. Astrath, L. C. Malacarne, M. L. Baesso, G. V. B. Lukasievicz, and S. E. Bialkowski, "Unravelling the effects of radiation forces in water," Nat. Commun., vol. 5, p. 4363, 2014.
- P. Penfield and H. A. Haus, Electrodynamics of Moving Media. Cambridge, MA: M.I.T. Press, 1967.
- N. L. Balazs, Phys. Rev., vol. 91, p. 408, 195d.
- R. Loudon, "Radiation pressure and momentum in dielectrics," Fortschr. Phys, vol. 52, p. 1134, 2004.
- M. G. Scullion and S. M. Barnett, "Optical momentum in negative-index media," J. Mod. Opt., vol. 55, p. 2301, 2008.
- J. A. Kong, Electromagnetic Wave Theory. Cambridge, MA: EMW Publishing, 2005.
- L. Brillouin, Wave Propagation and Group Velocity. New York: Academic Press, 1960.
- R. Loudon, "The propagation of electromagnetic energy through an absorbing dielectric," J. Phys. A, vol. 3, p. 233, 1970.
- R. Loudon, L. Allen, and D. F. Nelson, "Propagation of electromagnetic energy and momentum through an absorbing dielectric," Phys. Rev. E, vol. 55, p. 1071, 1997.
- S. A. Ramakrishna and T. M. Grzegorczyk, Physics and Applications of Negative Refractive Index Materials. CRC Press, 2008.
- L. D. Landau, E. M. Lifshitz, and L. P. Pitaevskii, Electrodynamics of Continuous Media, 2nd ed. New York: Pergamon, 1984.
- J. D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1999.
- V. G. Veselago, "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of _ and _," Sov. Phys. Usp., vol. 10, p. 509, 1968.
- R. Loudon, S. M. Barnett, and C. Baxter, "Radiation pressure and momentum transfer in dielectrics: The photon drag effect," Phys. Rev. A, vol. 71, p. 063802, 2005.
- B. A. Kemp, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Optical momentum transfer to absorbing Mie particles," Phys. Rev. Lett., vol. 97, p. 133902, 2006.
- R. V. Jones and J. C. S. Richards, "The pressure of radiation in a refracting medium," Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A., vol. 221, p. 480, 1954.
- R. V. Jones and B. Leslie, "The measurement of optical radiation pressure in dispersive media," Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A., vol. 360, p. 347, 1978.
- G. K. Campbell, A. E. Leanhardt, J. Mun, M. Boyd, E. W. Streed, W. Ketterle, and D. E. Pritchard, "Photon recoil momentum in dispersive media," Phys. Rev. Lett., vol. 94, p. 170403, 2005.
- H. Chen, B. Zhang, Y. Luo, B. A. Kemp, J. Zhang, L. Ran, and B.-I. Wu, "Lorentz force and radiation pressure on a spherical cloak," Phys. Rev. A, vol. 80, p. 011808, 2009.
- H. Chen, B. Zhang, B. A. Kemp, and B.-I. Wu, "Optical force on a cylindrical cloak under arbitrary wave illumination," Opt. Lett., vol. 35, p. 667, March 2010.