Main Article Content
This paper describes a modified open-ended coaxial technique for microwave dielectric characterization in liquid media. A calibration model is developed to relate the measured transmission coefficient to the local properties of the sample under test. As a demonstration, the permittivity of different sodium chloride solutions is experimentally determined. Accuracies of 0.17% and 0.19% are obtained respectively for the real and imaginary parts of dielectric permittivity at 5.9 GHz.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- T. H. Kim, J. K. Pack, Measurement of electrical characteristics of female breast tissues for the development of the breast cancer detector, Progress In Electromagnetics Research C 12: 188−199, 2012.
- D. Popovic, L. McCartney, C. Beasley, M. Lazebnik, M. Okoniewski, S. C. Hagness, J. H. Booske, Precision open-ended coaxial probes for in vivo and ex vivo dielectric spectroscopy of biological tissues at microwave frequencies, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques 53: 1713-1722, 2005.
- Agilent Technologies, Inc., Agilent 85070E Dielectric Probe Kit, 200 MHz to 50 GHz, http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-0222EN.pdf.
- K. Haddadi, H. Bakli, T. Lasri, Microwave liquid sensing based on interferometry, IEEE Microw. Wireless Components Letters 22: 542–544, 2012.
- H. Bakli, K. Haddadi, T. Lasri, Interferometric technique for scanning near-field microwave microscopy applications, Proc. IEEE Instrum. Meas. Technol. Conference, Minneapolis, USA, pp. 1694- 1698, 2013.
- H. Bakli, K. Haddadi, T. Lasri, Interferometric technique for scanning near-field microwave microscopy applications, IEEE Trans. Instrumentation Measurement 63: 1281−1286, 2014.
- H. Bakli, K. Haddadi, T. Lasri, Modeling and calibration in near-field microwave microscopy for dielectric constant and loss tangent measurement, IEEE Sensors Journal PP: 1−2, 2016.
- A. Peyman, C. Gabriel, E. H. Grant, Complex permittivity of sodium chloride solutions at microwave frequencies, Bioelectromagnetics 28: 264–274, 2007.
- D. K. Misra, Quasi-Static Analysis of Open-Ended Coaxial Lines, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques 35: 925−928, 1987.
- B. Filali, F. Boone, J. Rhazi, G. Ballivy, Design and calibration of a large open-ended coaxial probe for the measurement of the dielectric properties of concrete, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques 56: 2322−2328, 2008.