Main Article Content
A Ka-Band, High Efficiency, Small Size Spatial Combiner (SPC) is proposed in this paper, which uses an innovatively matched quadruple Fin Lines to microstrip (FLuS) transitions. At the date of this paper and at the Author's best knowledge no such FLuS innovative transitions have been reported in literature before. These transitions are inserted into a WR28 waveguide T-junction, in order to allow the integration of 16 Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit (MMIC) Solid State Power Amplifiers (SSPA's). A computational electromagnetic model using the finite elements method has been implemented. A mean insertion loss of 2 dB is achieved with a return loss better the 10 dB in the 31-37 GHz bandwidth.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- A. Leggieri, G. Orengo, D. Passi, F. Di Paolo, The Squarax Spatial Power Combiner, Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 45, p 43-55, 2013.
- I. Russo, L. Boccia, G. Amendola, G. Di Massa, Parametric Analysis of Grid Amplifiers, Proceedings of European Microwave Week 2008, Amsterdam, p: 1326-1329.
- D. An, X. Li, J. Mou, X. Liv, A new type of Ka-Band Waveguide-Based Power Combining Structures, Proceedings of ICMMT 2008, 21-24 April 2008, Nanjing, China, p: 1-4.
- I. Russo, L. Boccia, G. Amendola, H. Shumacher, Compact Hybrid Coaxial Achitecture for 3-10GHz UWB Quasi-Optical Power Combiner, PIER, Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 122, 2012, p:77-92.
- D. Lopz, L. Bortoli, J-P Fraysse, D. Langrez, J.F. Villemazet, J.L Cazaux, G. Soubercaze-Pun, L. Lapierre, HPA Module for Active Antenna Applications, Proceedings of 5th European Microwave Integrated Circuit Conference, Paris, 27-28 Sept. 2010, p: 404-407
- M. P. DeLisio and R. A. York, Quasi-optical and spatial power combining, IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 50, No. 3, Mar. 2002.
- Nai-Shuo Cheng, Pengcheng Jia, David B. Rensch, and Robert A. York, A 120-W X-Band Spatially Combined Solid-State Amplifier, IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 47, No. 12, December 1999.
- R. S. Symons, Tubes: Still vital after all these years, IEEE Spectrum, Apr. 1998, p: 52-63.
- E. Barbour, The Cool Sound of Tubes, IEEE Spectrum, Aug. 1998, p: 24-35.
- B. Levush, D.K. Abe, J.P. Calame, B.G. Danly, K.T. Nguyen, E.J. Dutkowski, R.H. Abrams, R.K. Parker, Vacuum Electronics: Status and Trends, 2007 IEEE Radar Conference, p:971-976
- C. M. Armstrong, The vitality of vacuum electronics, IEEE 14th International Vacuum Electronics Conference (IVEC), 2013, p:1-3
- J. H. Booske, R.J.Dobbs, C.D.Joye, C.L.Kory, G.R.Neil, P.Gun-Sik, P.Jaehun, R.J.Temkin, Vacuum Electronic High Power Terahertz Sources, IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol:1, Issue: 1, 2011, p:54-75.
- J. X. Qiu, B.Levush, J.Pasour, A. Katz, C.M. Armstrong, D.R. Whaley, J. Tucek, K. Kreischer, D. Gallagher, Vacuum tube amplifiers, IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol:10, Issue:7, 2009, p:38-51.
- K. J. Russel, Microwave Power Combining Techniques, IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. MTT-27, N. 5, May 1979, p.472-478.
- K. Chang, C. Sun, Millimeter-Wave Power Combining Techniques, IEEE Trans. on MTT Vol. MTT-31, N. 2, Feb 1983, p.91-107.
- M. P. DeLisio and R. A. York, Quasi-optical and spatial power combining, IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 50, No. 3, Mar. 2002. George E. Ponchak, Alan N. Downey, A New Model for Broadband Waveguide to Microstrip Transition Design, NASA Technical Memorandum 88905, Lewis Research Center Cleveland, Ohio, December 1986. B. Bhat, S.K. Koul, Analysis, Design and Applications of Fin Lines, Artech House, 1987.
- R. E. Collin, Foundations for Microwave Engineering, McGraw-Hill International Editions, 1992, ISBN 0-07-011811-6.
- F. Di Paolo, Networks and Devices Using Planar Transmission Lines, CRC Press LLC, 2000, ISBN 0-8493-1835-1.
- Nai-Shuo Cheng, Pengcheng Jia, David B. Rensch, and Robert A. York, A 120-W X-Band Spatially Combined Solid-State Amplifier, IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 47, No. 12, December 1999. D. Passi, A. Leggieri, F. Di Paolo, Computational Electromagnetic design of the Squarax Spatial Power Combiner, Ansys UGM 2014, Milano, Italy.